Watford Union Workhouse
The Workhouse was located at 60, Watford Road and was built in 1838. In 1930 it became known as "Shrodells". The old Union Workhouse Chapel became St
Barnabas' Chapel in Shrodells Hospital (Watford).
There aren't many records available at Herts Record Office, except Minutes and Committee Minutes, although there are assessment from 1862.
Watford Library hold accounts from 1876 which include some names of paupers.
- Post Office 1846 - p 196
workhouse contains 130 inmates
Source: Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Page updated December 19, 2006